I have been able to play around with the Vonage Mobile app since downloading it last week and I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Here are some of my thoughts on Vonage Mobile.
- Easy to use. I downloaded the app, plugged in my phone number and email address and was ready to go after verifying my phone number with a text message.
- Vonage Mobile asked my permission to go through my address book, unlike other apps.
- The user interface was simple. Everyone in my address book that had the app, showed up in a special tab. This saved me time so I didn't have dig around for certain contacts.
- The text messaging was quick and seamless.
- The call quality was wonderful. I did not have any break ups or static. The calls work wonderfully over the 3G Network and the Wifi network in my house. Absolutely no issues in this area.
As I think about the Vonage Mobile app, I think I have the same thoughts that everyone has regarding calling apps. "Do I need to get all of my friends to download this app to make it worth it?" The short answer is no. When I think about who I call the most, I know it is my wife. I would say that over 50% of my calls are to her. The majority of my texts are as well. If I get her to use the app only when talking or texting me and I do the same, my phone usage is cut in half. Long term, that could be huge savings. If I convince the next highest person on my list to join up, that could cut it even further. I do not see this app replacing all of the traditional cellular calls I make, but it could make a huge dent in my pricing when I change my contract. I could see a new contract in my future around the time a 5th Generation phone hits the market.
One of the great things about my PLN, is that it has grown well beyond the US. I have connections with people from all over the world and I want to reach out to them from time to time. Some ask about Skype and the price comparisons between the two apps when it comes to international calls. Well, I have an awesome graphic for that.
Vonage Mobile beats Skype in almost every category when it comes to making International calls. It's hard to beat that.
If you are looking for a free way to cut back on your phone and texting, talk to the people you call and text most and download the Vonage Mobile app. You will be a much happier person when you cell phone bill arrives.